QC era Royal Newfoundland Regiment
|Shipping:||Canada: $4.00||International: $4.00|
|Insurance:||Canada/US: $12.00||International: $30.00|
|If insurance is declined the buyer takes all responsibility for damage or loss in shipping.|
You are viewing a cap badge, of the post 1953 period for the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, with elk head motif facing left, as always . The Badge is clean, made of brass, with original tang type attachment. The badge is plated and some of the plating has come off. (View scans for details)
On all our products we accept prepaid authorized returns upon notification within 14 days of shipping, for full product refund, if you are not pleased.
I will happily combine items to save shipping costs if you purchase other items as well...
Below is some early history of the valiant Newfoundlanders...
The outbreak of the First World War in 1914 led the Government of Newfoundland to recruit a force for service with the British Army. The first contingent of 500 volunteers from Newfoundland joined the convoy transporting the 1st CEF Contingent as it passed Newfoundland to England in October 1914. It became the "1st Newfoundland Regiment" the regiment and served with the British Army for the duration of the war. The regiment trained at various locations in the United Kingdom and increased from an initial contingent of 500 men to full battalion strength of 1,000 men, before being deployed to Gallipoli in September of 1915. They landed at Suvla Bay. Over the next three months thirty soldiers of the regiment were killed or mortally wounded in action and ten died of disease; 150 were treated for frostbite and exposure. Despite the terrible conditions, the Newfoundlanders stood up well. When the decision was made to evacuate all British Empire forces from the area, the regiment was chosen to be a part of the rearguard, finally withdrawing from Gallipoli with the last of the troops on 9 January 1916. In France, the regiment regained battalion strength in preparation for the Battle of the Somme. Still with the 29th British Division, they went into the line in April 1916. At 8:45 a.m. on July 1st 1916 the Newfoundland Regiment and 1st Battalion of the British Essex Regiment received orders to move forward. Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Lovell Hadow, the battalion commander, decided to move immediately into attack formation and advance across the inter- trench surface. They were effectively the only troops moving on the battlefield and clearly visible to the German defenders. 22 officers and 758 other ranks were directly involved in the advance. Of these, all the officers and slightly under 658 other ranks became casualties. Of the 780 men who went forward only about 110 survived unscathed, of whom only 68 were available for roll call the following day. For all intents and purposes the Newfoundland Regiment had been wiped out, the unit as a whole having suffered a casualty rate of approximately 90%. In recognition of the unit's valour during the later battles at Ypres in 1917, King George V bestowed the regiment with the prefix "Royal" on 28 September 1917, renaming them as the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. It was the only regiment in the British Empire to be so honored during WWI.